PSYC4700 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
Week 6 Assignment
Complete the following problems within the Word document. (Do not submit other files.) Show your work for problem sets that require calculations. Ensure that your answer to each problem is clearly visible. (You may want to highlight your answer or use a different type of color to set it apart.)
Submit the document to your instructor by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. central time.
Problem Set 6.1: One-Sample t Test in JASP
Criterion: Calculate a one-sample t test in JASP.
Data: Use the Minutes Reading data set. This data set is a sample of the reading times of Riverbend City online news readers (in minutes). Riverbend City online news advertises that it is read longer than the national news. The mean for national news is 8 minutes per week.
Instructions: Complete the steps below.
1. Download Minutes Reading data set. Double-click the icon to open the data set in JASP.
2. In the Toolbar, click T-tests. In the menu that appears, under Classical, select One-sample t-test.
3. Select Time and then click Arrow to send it over to the Variables box.
4. Make sure the box is checked for Student. In the box labeled Test value, enter 8. Hit enter.
5. Copy and paste the output into the Word document.
6. State the nondirectional hypothesis.
7. State the critical t for a = .05 (two tails).
8. Answer the following: Is the length of viewing for Riverbend City online news significantly different than the population mean? Explain.
Note: You will continue to use this data set for the next problem.
Problem Set 6.2: Confidence Intervals
Criterion: Calculate confidence intervals using JASP.
Data: Continue to use the Minutes Reading data set.
Instructions: Based on the output from Problem Set 6.2, including a test value (population mean) of 8, calculate the 95% confidence interval by following the steps below.
1. Check the box Location Estimate.
2. Check the box Confidence interval. Fill in the box with 95.0%.
3. Copy and paste the output into the Word document.
(Assignment continues on next page.)
Problem Set 6.3: Independent t Test in JASP
Criterion: Calculate an independent samples t test in JASP.
Data: Use the Scores data set. Dr. Z is interested in discovering if there is a difference in depression scores between those who do not watch or read the news and those who continue with therapy as normal. She divides her clients with depression into 2 groups. She asks Group 1 not to watch or read any news for two weeks while in therapy and asks Group 2 to continue with therapy as normal. The Scores data set is a record of the results of the measure, administered after 2 weeks.
Instructions: Complete the steps below.
1. Download Scores data set. Double-click the icon to open the data set in JASP.
2. In the Toolbar, click T-tests. In the menu that appears, under Classical, select Independent-samples T-test.
3. Select Score and then click the top Arrow to send it over to the Dependent Variables box.
4. Select Group and then click the bottom Arrow to send it over to the Grouping Variable box.
5. Make sure the Student box is selected. Also select Descriptives and deselect any other boxes.
6. Copy and paste the output into the Word document.
Problem Set 6.4: Independent Samples t Test
Criterion: Identify IV, DV, and hypotheses and evaluate the null hypothesis for an independent samples t test.
Data: Use the information from Problem Set 6.3.
Instructions: Complete the following:
a. Identify the IV and DV in the study. _____________________________________
b. State the null hypothesis and the directional (one-tailed) alternative hypothesis. ___________________________________________________
c. Can you reject the null hypothesis at α = .05? Explain why or why not. ___________________________________________________
Problem Set 6.5: Independent t Test using Excel
Criterion: Calculate an independent samples t test in Excel.
Instructions: Complete the following steps:
a. Open Excel.
b. On an empty tab, enter the data from this information:
Depression Scores: Group 1: 34, 25, 4, 64, 14, 49, 54 ; Group 2: 24, 78, 59, 68, 84, 79, 57
c. Use column A for group 1 and column B for Group 2. In Cell A1, enter 1. In cell B1, enter 2.
d. Enter the data for each group below the label.
e. Click Data Analysis, select t-Test: Two-Sample Assuming Equal Variances. Click OK.
f. In Variable 1 Range enter $A$2:$A$8. (Or, click the graph icon at the right of the box and highlight your data for Group 1. Then, click the graph icon.)
g. In Variable 2 Range enter $B$2:$B$8.
h. Then click OK. Your results will appear on a new tab to the left.
i. Return to your data. Click Data Analysis, select t-Test: Two-Sample Assuming Unequal Variances. Then click OK.
j. In Variable 1 Range enter $A$2:$A$8. (Or, click the graph icon at the right of the box and highlight your data for Group 1. Then, click the graph icon.)
k. In Variable 2 Range enter $B$2:$B$8.
l. Then click OK. Your results will appear on a new tab to the left.
m. Copy the results from both t tests below.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need this assignment or any other paper?
Click here and claim 25% off
Discount code SAVE25